Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Another Testimonial of the Awesomeness of Yoga

As a followup to the last post on The Benefits of Yoga, the following comes from a reader and fellow anxiety sufferer named Bonnie who has used yoga as a great resource to overcoming her anxiety.

I think my anxiety can be traced back to high school. I still believe that kids can be a tough crowd! However, the one thing I have now that I didn’t have back then, is coping skills. This past year I took the time to get to know me. I had been battling some particularly intense bouts of anxiety and was on my way to downright depression. Most people believe that stress and anxiety occur with bad situations – but that’s not always the case. Sometimes my anxiety came from good things, like going out to the movies with friends or taking a road trip with my husband. As time wore on, I began to shut things out of my life… like friends and activities that I once enjoyed. But now I feel like that person I used to be is a complete stranger. I took one year to battle my demons. I wanted to see how strong I was.

Along my road to recovery I discovered some amazing things about myself and found relief from unexpected outlets. A couple of months into my journey, I found yoga. Yoga encouraged a stillness in me I had never experienced before. When I cried on my yoga mat during class one day, I knew I found what I was looking for. By having a steady practice and embracing some yoga philosophies I was able to fight through my panic attacks and anxiety. Here are some things that helped me along the way that I learned from yoga:

1) Check Your Ego At The Door: A big fear of mine that caused immense anxiety was embarrassing myself in front of people. What if I got sick or fainted or said something stupid and people saw that? I spent more time thinking about what other people thought than what I thought. Keep your ego away and live how you want to live. Don’t worry about other people because other people rarely worry about you.

2) Perfection Is A 4-Letter Word: Trying to do everything perfectly is exhausting and you are constantly plagued by the fear of messing up. It doesn’t matter in yoga if you do a pose perfectly, all that matters is that you feel bliss when you practice. Do what you can. Don’t strive for perfection because it doesn’t always exist.

3) Stay Present: My worries were always focused on something I dreaded in the future. I was always concerned with what was going to happen next. Yoga keeps me still and in the moment and when I am so engulfed in what I am doing, I don’t have time or energy to needlessly worry about the future, I am too busy enjoying the present.

I came very far from where I once was – I hardly recognize the person I was a mere year or so ago. Each step in my journey has been an important one and I’ve learned from my experiences. I still feel anxious every now and again, but I know I can cope. I found freedom in yoga and continue to use the philosophies I’ve learned to help guide me along the way.

I know it’s scary, but don’t ever give up. Sometimes you find help in the most unexpected places. Find your freedom…

8 comments:

Manmeet N said...

Useful article, i have taken note of this, pls keep posting.

also click to see (Heart Health)see
Top 5 heart disease and cancer causing foods tey to avoid them....
Heart Health

jh said...

Yoga is really the only thing that, done consistantly, really quells my anxiety. I think that it is the connection I get, the ability to really focus and breath, the letting go. Kundalini yoga is really the best I have found. It has changed my life for sure. Thanks for posting about it.

jh
boda weight loss blog

Anonymous said...

It really is true that perfectionism can be something that stresses us to no end and that causes a lot of anxiety...I was like that but I had to let some of it at least go in order to be less stressed.
thanks for the post!
valentina

Anonymous said...

This is a Nice post great information Thank you....
first aid kits australia

Blogger with Ocd said...

I have OCD, and yoga is difficult because it's hard to quiet my mind.

On the other hand, I find that running works for me like Yoga might work for you.

When I'm running, all of my energy goes to my body, with very little on my brain. If I can't make myself get into "the zone" like I need to for yoga, a good 6.4 mph stride will do the trick! : )

www.itsmewithocd.blogspot.com

Ruby said...

Hi Aimee

I'm so glad I came across your blog, I used to do Yoga a long time ago, and haven't really given it much thought since, though I really enjoyed it. You have planted a seed for me to check out my local classes.

Ruby

Anonymous said...

I found this very useful, thanks!

Abbey said...

I used to just buy fioricet online for migraines. That was until I learned about yoga. It doesn't always cut it, but it helps take my mind off the pain.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...