Friday, August 24, 2007

What to Do When Your Spouse Gets Fired?


Yep, my hubby got fired this week from his job. The stress is horrible. So many thoughts race through your head. What are we going to do for money? What can I do to comfort him? What kind of changes are we going to have to make to our budget? Are we going to have to move? Am I handling this the right way? Should I be angry? The list goes on...

Also, I think this would be a great time for him to go back to school, but he is still deciding. I have told him my thoughts several times, but I can only nag so much and its his life. Its so much easier for me to say what to do when I don't have to do it.

So for now we will see what happens. Honestly I think its a blessing because the company he worked for was horrible and didn't appreciate his hard work at all. Plus now he can hopefully find something he loves doing or like I said, finish school. I have tried to be very supportive and loving. I have tried not to worry too much because I know he can find another job easily if he needs one soley to pay the bills. Its still stressful though. I am not sleeping well lately at all.

My latest favorite song on the radio is by Sara Bareiles, called Love Song and the first few lines of the lyrics are,
" Head under water
And they tell me to breathe easy for a while
The breathing gets harder, even I know that"
Hits home right about now.

Has anyone ever had a spouse in this same position, and if so, how did you handle it?


If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to The Reality of Anxiety

6 comments:

Molly said...

Hang in there girl! Your mix of emotions is totally normal. On the opp end, my husband has been offered a job that he is not sure if he wants to take or not... trying to let him decide, while supporting him but not being too overbearing...it is all tough stuff!

Take Care

elphf said...

I think you are doing all the right things and agree that all these emotions are completely normal. I haven't had a spouse fired but I was myself laid off and that was what inspired me to go to graduate school (a good thing for me). Here is how I try to approach things:

1. Be supportive and try to stay positive but realize that sometimes you just have to let go a little bit and see what comes.
2. Try to see the opportunity in the situation (it is an opportunity to go back to school or do something that he really wants to do)
3. Hold on to the faith that things happen for a reason.

ShamWOW! said...

Well, I'm a bachelor and have never encountered this situation, but I would like to say you have a great outlook (that it will be a positive thing in the long run).

Molly said...

hope all is well!

take care...

Anonymous said...

Yup you are most normal. :) My husband was laid off, before we were married.. now I don't remember if we were living together. Oh yes we were, see I try to block it out. LOL. I was so stressed, he has very little motivation and I was afraid he was going to be a bum and never work again. He got a job with his brother in law, good job. But he is bored there. He lived on unemployment for a while, and he did look for jobs. but he doesn't have a degree and they want that paper, but he's smart he really doesn't need it!

Anonymous said...

How's this for rotten luck- My husband was JUST let go by a very wicked supervisor and we are 2 weeks from closing on our first home.I feel like I'm going to have a stroke from all the stress, rage and fear now. The ironic part is that I work for the SAME company that fired him! I must admit, however, that I am glad he is away from this woman,even though we have to think fast now and get him another job. We're still getting the house and I am in the process of filing a lawsuit against the company for wrongful termination, so we WILL survive. You will too!! Good luck and God bless.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...