Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Focusing on the Negative Only Makes Things More Ugly

photo taken by me with a macro filter on a Cannon Rebel XT.
**You have to click on this picture to enlarge it to see the details of this fly. Its kinda gross.**


I am going to go off of some thoughts I had taken from SA D’s blog post about Modifying your Perception. I won’t quote any of it but it is a really good, helpful post in my opinion.

There is a quote that hangs in a coworker’s cubicle of mine:

“Happiness does not depend on what happens outside of you but on what happens inside of you.”

One person can be stuck in a traffic jam and think to themselves, “I can finally listen to this CD that I never have time to” and they are enjoying the situation the best they can. Meanwhile the person in the back of the car can only think of how horrible a situation they are in and curse and moan about how life stinks and now your going to be late and what kinda moron would get in an accident here and cause all this traffic etc. etc. They are fully upset and angry. Happiness is not dependent on our environment, instead its our attitude and perception that have a huge impact.

Who owns a magnified mirror? The kind that shows you all your pores? WHY ON EARTH would anyone do that to themselves? They should call those mirrors what they really are- “Self Esteem Demolishers.” I don’t need to focus in on every little minor flaw that I have because that will only make me feel depressed and ugly.

So why do the same thing with our souls and personalities? Why nit pick apart every little thing we may or may not do right in a social situation when all it will do is cause anxiety and nervousness and make us feel bad about ourselves? I say throw the mirror away and get a new perspective.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...