Thursday, August 30, 2007

Anticipatory Anxiety over Business Trip

photo by Bruno D Rodrigues
Today I found out that in a few weeks I am going to have to travel to North California for business. I will be doing this trip alone. That scares me to death. I am trying to look at it as an adventure but I know I will be a nervous reck about it. I will have to rent a car and drive which that alone is enough stress and anxiety, but add driving to unknown places in unfamiliar towns and cities and thats really scary for me. I have never done something like this before. At least all by myself. I am going to have to plan as much beforehand as I can with maps and mace. Just thinking about it is making feel like I can't breathe. I am having to take giant heaping breaths even as I type this.

***

Ok I just took a quick walk away from my desk and was thinking about it and I am trying to focus on the excitement aspect, not the fear. I will be able to take pics of the Golden Gate bridge and prove to myself that I am a capable of doing this on my own. It will be a challenge, but it will also be a huge learning experience for me.

Any tips out there for me?

I also have a dinner with some old coworkers tonight that I am trying to not get freaked out about.

Deep breaths. One step at a time.

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to The Reality of Anxiety or Add it to Your Technorati Favorites.

5 comments:

john said...

Try and think of it like this: there are thousands if not millions of people out there trying to to the same thing as you, travel for there work to places they haven't been before. Some people have to do this several times a month. So you might have a panic attack, you know that they will go after a while. Your just doing what lots of other people will be doing, nothing harmful. Dont worry about it, dont think about it. take each day at a time. there is no point worrying about something that you might actually enjoy.

Dave B. said...

I think you're on the right track with planning ahead as best you can. The more unknowns you can eliminate, the less anxious you'll feel. That's how I get by in times of trouble and turbulence.

Another "trick" is to focus on the fact that no matter how you feel about the trip, you still have to go. Therefore, it does no good and changes nothing to let your anxiety run wild over the umpteen unknowns.

Here's what's going to happen: You're going to go. It's not going to be nearly as bad as you're imagining. You're going to come home and blog about how there was nothing to fear after all.

The most important thing is to compare how you feel now with how you feel after it's over. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised and even proud of yourself for the accomplishment. Next time you're facing something challenging like this, you'll be able to recall how the last time your fears never materialized and the trip turned out to be better than anticipated.

Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary.

Dave

Leila V. said...

Good luck with the trip, I’m sure you’ll handle it perfectly. My only advice would be don’t obsess on what “could” happen, it never does, at least not in my life. And don’t drink coffee!

I can’t wait to hear how it goes.

Aimée said...

You are all so true. Why worry about something that hasn't happened yet? Unfortunately I still did have a panic attack but its ok because I learned from it.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...