Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Yesterday I went to a seminar about Customer Service, but they had a lecture on reducing stress that I thought was interesting. They had the normal tips that aren’t hard to figure out on your own or have a doctor tell you: diet, stay hydrated, exercise, relaxation, life/ work balance etc, but here are a few additional insights that I thought were interesting:
  • Limit your time that you work at home or if possible, leave your work at work. Pick a spot halfway home on your commute, a stop sign, a stop light, or a landmark for example, where once you reach it you are no longer allowed to think about work.
  • When you get home from work, get out of your work clothes and put on more relaxing clothes. Just like we tell our kids to get out of their school clothes and put on their play clothes, we should do the same.
  • “Unplug” from the world occasionally. When I go out on a date with my spouse, I usually leave my cell phone at home. Then I don’t get bothered during our time together. If you want to keep it for an emergency, just turn it off sometimes for a few hours so you can relax in peace.
  • Hobbies are rejuvenating and we shouldn’t put them off.
  • Avoid procrastination as that will make more things become urgent or a fire to be put out which raises your overall stress levels.
If you enjoyed this post Get the Reality of Anxiety via RSS or Email

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tips. And I love the picture!

Bill said...

I like your blog alot. Nice work. Come by and visit me at my blog sometime! :)

Bill Burniece
http://www.anxietycoach.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Gosh, never seen this kind of poster anywhere in my office yet..

Anonymous said...

I like the tip you gave on leaving your cell phone at home while on a date with your spouse. Technology is great, but can be very invasive (spelling?)-- the idea of being connected 24/7 doesn't bring a sense of relaxtion. Why do we have to always be connected anyway -- are the calls we get and texts we receive really so important that they need to be dealt with while in a line ordering food at a local cafe.

I wonder if others have opted to leave their techno gadgets at home too. Looking forward to other people's comments

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

I loved this post. I love my work and do work at home and I have been looking for ways to limit the time I do so.

It is a problem when work is fun, well not THAT big of a problem, and I find just getting outside for a quick walk or stretch helps me change gears.

I also tell myself things like, "Even though work is really fun, it isn't my ONLY fun." or "Even though it is hard to stop thinking about my new project, I am stopping now anyway." Then I imagine a bright red stop sign right in front of my face!

I also started journaling while listening to the Bach Cello Suites by Yo Yo Ma. Amazing what that does to you!

Be well all!!
Catherine

Anonymous said...

Great Tips! We can all use a few ideas sometimes...

Dr. Deb said...

I have that same stress paper on my fridge. Luckily, I don't hit it too often with my head.

Anonymous said...

I loved the fact that you paid attention and got some real useful information - particularly the line about "unplugging". With all the time we spend on the computer, cell phone, watching t.v., etc I think unplugging our gadgets gives us a real chance to rest. Nice Job.

Anonymous said...

Paul

anxietyguru.net

Anonymous said...

Great post, great suggestions, I'd love to include some of these on my own anxiety blog, http://anxiousangst.blogspot.com, check it out too, maybe we can provide each other some good material.

Anonymous said...

Great Tips. I wish I could follow them! Work just stresses me out to the max at all times!
I have been reading women's blogs because I am starting one of my own. I hope you'll visit it if you have time

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...